Sunday, August 10, 2008

GENRE STUDIES

...are coming. This is how this is gonna work: I'm going to pick a metal genre. Then, I'm going to write about the genre. Then, I'm going to make two lists: one of "Starter" albums and one of "Essential" albums. Why two lists? Because oftentimes, the must-have releases in a genre, while pinnacles of form and truly essential releases to know, aren't always the easiest ways to introduce unfamiliar listeners to a genre, or to foster their enjoyment thereof.

Just so we're clear, this is going to be a regular feature. In fact, I think that I'm going to try to write an article every day (we'll see how THAT goes). Writers are supposed to write every day; musicians are supposed to practice every day. I've got one foot in both disciplines, and I don't really do either task on a regular basis anymore, so I'm going to do what I can to solve this problem step by step. Anyways, I think that's where I'm going with this blog. I also think that I'm going to start reviewing albums on here, because I used to really like doing that, and it's been a while, and I want to see if my chops are still there for that kind of thing.

So, by request from reader Bryan Mckay, the first Genre Study will be: BLACK METAL. Get your corpse-paint, kiddos, and get ready to hear about the frozen Norselands, because it's coming Monday.

No comments: