Wednesday, January 9, 2008

First Post! Hooray!

Certainly, there's no better way to begin this blog than with a great recording of its namesake. Presented by the fine folks at ubu.com, this is the recording of Varese's Poeme Electronique from the Philips Pavillion at the 1958 Brussels World Fair. The building was specially constructed to house Varese's work, and was designed jointly by famed French architect Le Corbusier and his apprentice (although certainly a genius in his own right) Iannis Xenakis.

Hopefully, this blog will be a repository for thoughts, ideas, and arguments about electronic music in the 21st century. I don't plan to restrict my discussion purely to "classical" music, either, but rather to undertake a more thorough examination of where electronic and electroacoustic music came from, where they are right now, and where they are going. So, without further ado, here's some colors and some noises by Edgard Varese.

1 comment:

Paul Deatherage said...

Every time I've watched poeme electronique, it's reminded me of something which I couldn't put my finger on. Now, I realize what it was. Before I knew what Poeme Electronique was, I had seen the art of Larry Carlson. So, if you're into this sort of thing, perhaps you would enjoy some flash movies reminiscent of the poeme at http://www.larrycarlson.com/